Saturday, February 11, 2012

Challenge Three Project Quilting - Tool Time

The third challenge for Project Quilting is Tool Time. We are to give homage to FOUR tools...and what better way to do that than with a Quilter's Chatelaine? Or at least that is the direction that my brain took me when puzzling out the challenge.
I started out with one of the Army Guy's ties for shape and size. I put it around my neck to determine how long to make the chatelaine and went on designing from there.
I used the gold decal on my Featherweight to give me a design element that gave a touch of elegance to my chatelaine as well as inspiration for my main fabric.
I chose my fabrics and went to town...the black is the main fabric, the red is an accent and the novelty print is on the back.
I drew out the design detail from the featherweight decal onto water soluble stabilizer, sewed over it with a sample of gold glitter thread that I had waiting for the perfect project. This seemed to be it :)
I used the same technique to put pins on a pincushion and scissors, needle and thread on pockets (I only have one shown here).
Next I sewed up my pincushion, inserted some plastic inside (I don't want to poke them through to my chest!) and then stuffed it with polyfill.
 
 I quilted the chatelaine with straight line stitching so that it emphasized the gold detail and then basted the pockets and other elements on before sewing on the binding.
I love those new binding clips...I found them in my Christmas stocking this past Christmas...what a sweetie my Army Guy is!

I tossed the whole project into the wash to get rid of the wash away stabilizer and now I have a great way to keep my tools handy while I work (I seem to always be running back and forth because I leave things at the wrong workstation).

and a closer shot of the pockets with various items tucked inside.
Happy Quilting!

Tip Junkie handmade projects

2 comments:

Judee said...

Wow! That's a great idea!

Marcia - Crafty Sewing and Quilting said...

Love seeing the process of how you made your Quilter's Chatelaine, I like that you added plastic to protect you! Great idea!